Monday, November 28, 2011

Don't ask if you've already decided you aren't going to try!

So, this is something that happened to Janelle the other day, but it's happened to me too and I'm sure it's happened to some of you.

Basically, Janelle ran into a girl at the gym that worked out with us a few times. When she worked out with us she bragged and bragged about how "in shape" and "strong" she is. She said she is so strong that she never gets sore from lifting. She was talking about how she doesn't have any body fat and does so much cardio and is soooooo strong. Truth be told, and not being a judgemental bitch, but she did have body fat, she did have leg fat, she was not sooooo strong, but she did do a lot of cardio.

Anyway, she couldn't hang with us. She could not make it through our workout. She made an excuse to leave and then said wanted to stick to her cardio. In all actuality, she was insanely sore and didn't know how we could possibly still workout from day to day. We never saw her again, until the other day when Janelle ran into her.

Janelle didn't want to talk to her, but she came over to Janelle and wanted to talk. I'm kinda sad that I missed it, because she's been running and doing cardio, but she's gained about 10-15 pounds since we last saw her.

She told Janelle she didn't know why she was gaining weight and said she didn't need to do cardio because she'll get too bulky. She also maintained that she had little to no fat on her body. Then she asked Janelle what she should do to get the weight back off and stay in shape. Janelle told her the basics; eat better food, count calories, and workout more than cardio. She told Janelle that she didn't feel like eating right, but she knew how to if she had to. She also told Janelle that she doesn't need to lift. She then whined for about 10 more minutes and Janelle tried to ignore her.

Here's my issue with this girl and other people who have done this to me:

Don't come whine to me or anyone else who has been busting their butt to lose weight. Don't ask me or anyone else what we are doing, how we are doing it, and how they can get started too and then tell me or anyone else that they know it won't work for them!

For example: "Wow! You look awesome. I need to do something to get myself into shape. What are you doing? I want to do that!"

"Well, I count calories and workout out, a lot. I lift, I do cardio, I do whatever I can."

"Oh, that won't work for me. I've lifted before, it didn't do anything."

"I bet you didn't give it enough time."

"I don't want to get bulky, so I didn't lift heavy, and lifting doesn't work for me. I never get sore. I'm strong already."

"Lifting burns a lot of fat. Give it more time."

"I don't want to do that. I'll take a class or something and I don't really want to count calories."

I should respond to that by saying, "Then why in the hell are you wasting my time asking me questions if you already know you won't do anything different? You have to change something to lose weight. Thank you for wasting my time. Don't ask me to help you and shoot everything down. What I'm doing works. I've lost 110 pounds. Lifting won't make you bulky, I promise. You've watch too many infomercials. There is not quick fix. Get off your ass and move. I will never talk to you about this again because you have wasted 10 minutes of my life that I can't get back."

It is really irritating when people want you to help them and then decide that they know better than you. I know I'm not the only person this has happened to. It bothers me and I know it bothered Janelle. I wonder who else it bothers?

3 comments:

  1. Ummm...yes! I have written several posts about my MOTHER doing this to me-drives me f-ing batty!!! What REALLY pisses me off is people, typically men who have never been more than 5 pounds overweight, telling me, a woman who has fluctuated and lost plenty of weight over my life, HOW to lose weight. Seriously???? Are you shitting me? Screw off and call me when you produce more estrogen and a VAGINA! Sorry this bugs the everliving crap outta me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. o.m.g. YES. i have a friend that does this. It's "i can't believe you've lost so much, plz help me" I ask her what her day to day diet looks like and she responds with "well usually about 4 waffles with syrup and butter for breakfast" etc. I'm like DUH...but she still won't listen..just complains. annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh I hate when people do that too! All of a sudden they're all experts of diet and exercise, lame.

    http://loserlike-me.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete