Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Your hands are bumpy!

           A lot of people where gloves when they lift. I don’t. It’s a personal choice. Janelle and Ashley are the same way. It’s just hard to get a good grip if I wear gloves and if I forget them one day, I’m out of luck. It will hurt my hands to do anything. So, no gloves for me; I have just built up calluses over the past few years.

            My hands look pretty rough these days. Some days they still hurt after a long workout, especially when it’s a long day of pull ups. One time I let my calluses go away (or maybe I picked them off) and I really hurt my hands trying to get them back! I don’t ever want to go through that again!

My hands were hurtin' after this day! 

            So this is really a story about Janelle and one of her students, but it’s funny none-the-less. She works in an elementary school and deals with a whole different breed of student comments than I do!

            After recess one day a little boy comes up to her and says, “Ooowww…my hands hurt.” Then he shows Janelle his hands and they are red and raw.

            She looks at them and says, “What did you do? Were you playing on the monkey bars?”

            “Yea, how did you know?”

            She opens her hands, shows them to the boy, and says, “My hands get like that too.”

            He looks at her hands and says, “You play on the monkey bars too?”

            “Yea, something like that.”

            Another time Janelle was working with a student. The kid was trying to get her attention and grabbed her hand. Then the kid let go of her hand and said, “Your hands are really bumpy.” He was referring to her calluses.

            I don’t have stories like that since I don’t work with the young ones. I don’t let my teenage students get anywhere near my hands! 

3 comments:

  1. Ouch! Just lookin at your hands makes my hands hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. man, that picture is making my hands hurt!!! Is this what I have to look forward to?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch! !! Does lotion or anything help?

    ReplyDelete