Tuesday, March 22, 2011

It's really because I'm short.

           Ok, I’m short. Short jokes come my way all the time. I never let it bother me because I can’t help that I’m short. The other day I was actually upset that I’m short and there is nothing I can do about it.

            Here’s the skinny on the situation: furniture was always kind of uncomfortable. Honestly, I thought it was because I was overweight. I thought the furniture was not made for a person that had extra weight and that’s why it never seemed comfy for long periods of time. The other day I realized that the uncomfortable furniture had nothing to do with my weight, but my height.

            I had to proctor a standardized test so I had to sit in a plastic chair; you know the kind that students sit in all day. I could not get comfortable at all. I kept moving around in the chair and getting up every few minutes. I had just sat down when someone came through and made a comment that my feet were not even touching the floor. I know that my feet often dangle above the ground, and it suddenly hit me that my shortness, not my fatness, was keeping me in a state of discomfort!

            I tried to sit further forward on the chair so my feet out rest on the floor, and that helped my legs, but them my back started to ache. Then I tried to sit all the way back in the chair and that my legs achy because they were resting on the floor anymore! It was just a bad situation all around!

            I came to the conclusion that furniture sucks because it’s made for people taller than me! I’ve started paying attention lately to how often I switch positions when I’m sitting and when my feet are or aren’t touching the ground. My feet hardly ever touch the ground when I’m sitting on a stool, chair, couch, etc. So there you have it; I found one thing that I can’t blame on being overweight. This is just something that I can blame on being short and there is nothing I can do about that!
            

2 comments:

  1. I'm 5' 0" and I know exactly what your talking about!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was sitting somewhere not too long ago with my own dangling feet! BTW - this reminds me of a poster I had in college. Garfield saying "I'm not overweight, I'm under-tall."

    ReplyDelete