Sunday, January 9, 2011

Motivation

I've noticed that everyone seems to have a blog. I’ve also noticed that everyone seems to blog about weight loss or their desire to make healthy changes in their lives. So I've decided that it’s my turn to do the same. I am going to write about my experiences losing weight, but I have some rules for this blog.

  1. I will not refer to this as my “journey” and I will not ask you to “follow” me anywhere, even though there is button that asks you to “follow” my blog. I’m not really a fan of this blogging jargon. So, besides right here in this sentence, you will not see “follow me on my journey through weight loss.”
  2. This blog is not a forum for me to tell you all my deep, dark secrets and try to find some reason for years of over eating and lack of exercise, so don’t expect to read anything like that. It’s really for me to talk about the funny and not so funny things that have happened since I’ve gotten serious about losing weight.

So, here’s the background information that you need. Pretty much my whole life I’ve been overweight. I was in denial for a long time. I would convince myself that I carried my weight well. I would also look at other overweight people and then say to my friends, “If I ever look like that or get that big, tell me.” So for the record, my friends suck, because I did look like that and none of them told me. Thanks guys. (A sarcasm font would be nice, I’m not really mad at all of you.)

Sometime during college I met Janelle, and she was all sorts of skinny and fit. She would tell me about working out, eating right, and a bunch of other crazy, health conscience things. These were all foreign ideas to me, since I liked to drink A LOT, eat A LOT, and A LOT of other unhealthy things. Anyway, Janelle tried to get me to go to the gym with her. I only went like 2 times. After the first time my arms and upper body were so sore that I couldn’t even lift my beer to my mouth. I had to switch to mixed drinks with a straw for the rest of the night. Besides, it was really hard to workout on 3 hours of sleep and a hangover.

A few years later, I ran into Janelle again in a graduate class. Out of no where she was all, “hey, you should come to the gym with me.” I was thinking, “Geeze, this girl is all about the gym.” I told her that I should be able to do that, but I was going to have to rejoin, since I let my membership expire. Anyway, I started going to the gym with her again and we picked up another girl, Ashley, from our class to join our little group. The three of us have now been working out together for nearly 2 years.

After a few months of working out together, Janelle got another bright idea. Again, she was all, “hey, you should let Zach (her husband) put you on a meal plan.” My response was, “how does booze fit into this meal plan?” After some reluctance, I agreed, and here I am today. One year ago today, I started following a meal plan, which I will explain more at a later time. This is really why I decided to start a blog now. I’ve been sticking to this meal plan for year now, and I’ve lost 71 pounds and 31.75 inches between the meal plan and working out. I figure after one year I must be pretty serious about this.
           
I hope that everyone that reads this finds it entertaining, inspiring, or informative. I really just plan on writing about my observations over the past year and my own opinions about all of this. So, thanks for reading. 

4 comments:

  1. It's hard to believe that you've gone from "how does booze fit into this meal plan" to "I had to find 48 unbroker oyster crackers"

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very true, but I think it was 47 oyster crackers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh oh oh... sorry. That's like 1/4 of a calorie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just go to show that the people we surround ourselves really matter.

    ReplyDelete